Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 15:45:36 EST
From:      AlexDover@aol.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, info@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install TROUBLE

      Hello,

     I recently purchased the 4-CD set of FreeBSD 2.2.5. I also have System
Commander, which supposedly allows the use of multiple operating systems. My
computer is running an Intel Pentium With MMX enhancement, and has one 3 GB
hard drive with 2 logical DOS drives.

     In order to install FreeBSD, I created a new partition outside of the
extended DOS partition for fear of data loss. This new partition is at the
physical last end of the drive. The install went fine, up to entering user
names and passwords. But upon rebooting the system, and selecting "FreeBSD"
from the list of available OSes, the screen simply displays "Read Error" and
hangs.

     During install, I skipped Kernel configuration, chose "Novice Install,"
and had all of the files put on the new, empty partition I created outside of
the extended DOS partition. As I said before, all of the install went
flawlessly.

    Here is my problem: I can't run FreeBSD because every time I choose it
from the list the "Read Error" message comes up. The partition it is on is not
visible while in normal DOS and comes up as "Non-DOS" when I enter FDisk. What
do I do? Must I set the new partition to active for the system to work? Should
I have configured the Kernel for my system? Did I Install in the wrong place?
Should I reinstall in a new partition? Any help would be appreciated.

   Regards,

   Nathan McDonald