Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 11:43:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        mibst14+@pitt.edu (Michael Balaga)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free BSD CD

Michael Balaga writes:
> I have a non SCSI CD drive in my PC. If I purchase the CD, using the
> boot disks, can I install FreeBSD from it or add additional features
> such as X-Windows? Maybe by copying the FreeBSD programs to my
> hard drive?

You can download the installation disk image (see
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/) put it on a floppy using the
MS-DOS rawrite (also available via ftp), and then boot from it.
If you watch the carefully while booting from the floppy, you can
tell if FreeBSD finds your CD drive.

All is not lost if the CD drive cannot be used directly by
FreeBSD.  You can copy the parts you want to install to an MS-DOS
partition which FreeBSD can install from.

-john

=== jfieber@cs.smith.edu ========== Come up and be a kite!  --K. Bush ===