Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:41:18 -0500
From:      Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mysql323 + gcc on 4.8-s

Mike Hoskins wrote:

> 4.8-stable as/of jun 9th (update scheduled) has gcc version,
>
> 2.95.4
>
> i'm building mod_php3 (some local stuff needs a php3 processor) with mysql
> support.  using the mysql323 client/server from ports.  mysql (which i
> know i've built before on older stable's) reports gcc can't convert
> longlong to something or other...  basicly saying i need a newer compiler.
>
> i'm installing gcc33 from ports, since it's the latest release according
> to gnu's site...  but running 'make check' (which is still running) has
> been spitting out quite a few failures like,
>
> FAIL: SyncGlobal -O execution - bytecode->native test
> FAIL: Thread_Sleep output - bytecode->native test
> FAIL: Throw_2 execution - source compiled test
> FAIL: Throw_2 execution - gij test
> FAIL: Throw_2 execution - bytecode->native test
> FAIL: Throw_2 -O execution - source compiled test
> FAIL: Throw_2 execution - gij test
> FAIL: Throw_2 -O execution - bytecode->native test
> WARNING: program timed out.
> FAIL: anon2 execution - gij test
> WARNING: program timed out.
>
> should i be concerned?  :)  furthermore, should this be required for
> mysql323 under -stable?

Hmmm, odd.  Maybe try updating your ports collections and try again.
I've had mysql 3.23 running under freebsd 4.x for over a year now.  I
was able to compile it from the ports using the version of gcc that
comes with freebsd.  No special voodoo or switches used.  Currently
running 3.23.57 on a fbsd 4.7 box without problems.

Word on the street is that for a freebsd+mysql to take advantage of
multiple cpus, one needs to add linuxthread support.

Checkout:
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000697.html
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000203.html
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000458.html

I haven't attempted the above or have a pressing for it at the moment.
But it might be useful info for you.

good luck,
  greg