Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 2009 13:24:09 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: way to check an email without sending it??

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 07:13:30AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>

> >	write and say HI, Howzit hanging... or whatever.  Anyway, the
> >	sendmail -bv ploy
> >	indicates that this person is still at the address i have.  no big
> >	deal; i was just
> >	wondering.
>
> Uh -- sendmail -bv doesn't do what you think it does.  It only shows you
> what your
> local sendmail would do with the message as it tries to deliver it.  If
> it's not
> for a local user, then all it says is 'send it to the SMTP server
> responsible'
> and nothing at all about what the other machine would do with it.
>
> The only way to find that out is by connecting to the remote sendmail,
> either
> by telnet or by actually sending an e-mail.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

	Yes, indeed.  The only other thing is to mess with the whitepages, but not
	now.  The future is coming too quickly, and I'm pretty sure that we'll
	all have some sort of ID tags embedded ... _somewhere_.

	thanks for the clue,

	gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix