Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2009 15:11:17 +0100
From:      Patrick =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Lamaizi=E8re?= <patfbsd@davenulle.org>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@mavhome.dp.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [snd_hda] Sound problem on Macbook pro model 3.1

Le Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:39:52 +0200,
Alexander Motin <mav@mavhome.dp.ua> :

Hello,

> > Now when i plug a headphone, the sound from the speaker is
> > muted but i don't hear sound in the headphone. There is some sound
> > but the level is very very very low.
> >
> > I think i have to add a ovref quirk somewhere or another quirk, but
> > a quirk
> > hint.hdac.0.config="gpio0 ovref" does not seem to do anything:
> >
> > hdac0: FG config/quirks: gpio0 forcestereo ivref50 ivref80 ivref100
> > ivref
> >
> > Why ovref is not listed? How to add a quirk 'ovref' or 'eapdinv',
> > there is no example in the man page?
>
> There was a bug in this string parsing which I have just fixed in
> CURRENT.

Ok, with the new version of hdac.c I've got:
hdac0: FG config/quirks: gpio0 forcestereo ivref50 ivref80 ivref100
ovref50 ovref80 ovref100 ivref ovref vref

And it works, thanks! \o/

> eapdinv will be ineffective for this codec, as there is no
> EAPD controls reported by it. Actually I have never seen that ovref
> do something, but you may try it, Linux seems doing it for several
> macbooks.

I must use ovref here.

For the record I use in /boot/device.hints:
hint.hdac.0.config="gpio0 ovref"
hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid21.config="as=4 seq=15"

Now the speaker and the headphone work fine, but I've not tested the
microphone and the line in/out.

> > Any help will be very welcome, thanks.
>
> If you are not doing redirection, but instead just playing to
> headphones via different pcm device, does they work fine?

No, I've tried all the PCM devices (forget to say, oops).

That's not a real problem, but the driver does not use coherent numbers
for the associations.
By instance for the quirk hint.hdac.0.cad0.nid21.config="as=4 seq=15",
it displays
hdac0: Enabling headphone/speaker audio routing switching:
hdac0:  as=3 sense nid=21 [UNSOL]

Why "as=3" instead "as=4"?

Anyway that's work fine, thanks a lot.
Regards.