Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:31:30 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone useing an ADIC FastStor tape changer successfully?

In the last episode (Aug 12), David Wolfskill said:
> Just received an ADIC FastStor tape drive & changer; trying to use
> the "ch" driver on a 2.2.6-RELEASE system, and running into oddnesses
> & some problems.
>
> "chio status " & "chio params" seem to work OK, as does moving a
> cartridge from a slot to the drive ("chio move slot 0 drive 0").
>
> However, trying to move a cartridge from the drive to a slot fails,
> with an "Invalid argument":

Depending on how smart/dumb the changer is, you may have to eject the
tape from the drive before the autoloader will see it. Like:

chio move slot 0 drive 0
tar cv /
mt offline
chio move drive 0 slot 0

the Exabyte 10h autoloader is like that, although I believe both of our
DLT autoloaders (ADIC and Overland Data) are smart enough to eject the
tape automatically when asked (and automatically clean the drive when
needed too).

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com