Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 00:37:53 +0000
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: iijppp problems - related to interrupts?

John Brann wrote in message ID
<199603262340.SAA02049@jbrann.dialup.access.net>:
> Is anyone else suffering similar sig 10 abends with ppp?

Nope... I very rarely experience problems with IIJPPP that can't be
traced to the terminal server I'm dialing into crashing or a line
problem. (Damned BT :( )

> Is the interrupt level extraordinary?

I should say so. From my machine, which for a while was downloading a
large file at 3.1K sec with a 115200 baud DTE rate to a 28k8
modem. I'm using a 16550 COM port:

gary@palmer:~> vmstat -i
interrupt      total      rate
clk0 irq0      784266      102
rtc0 irq8      982565      128
fdc0 irq6           1        0
sc0 irq1        28054        3
sio0 irq4      106707       13
sio1 irq3      910720      118
ed0 irq10           1        0
Total         2812314      366

The modem is on sio1... My IRQ rate (total) is 366/sec on average.

> If so, what can I do - is it a hardware problem?

Possibly. Do you have a FIFO'd COM port (a 16550) or one of the older,
non-FIFO'd ports?

I don't think (however) that this problem is tracable to the
IRQ's... Have you tried updating the kernel & ppp binaries?

Gary