Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 2002 14:43:20 -0400
From:      "Michael C. Cambria" <cambria@fid4.com>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Siemens PCI->PCMCIA using wi - Why does this work?

Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> <20020725.231157.73515369.imp@bsdimp.com>
>
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 23:41 -0400, Michael C. Cambria wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am trying to understand why my FreeBSD router with a new PCI->PCMCIA
>>bridge is working.  From what I read, a few things are missing.
>>
>>On my $.6-Stable machines (last cvsup'ed a few weeks after 4.6-Release
>>came out) I installed a Siemens SpeedStream PCI->PCMCIA bridge two days
>>ago.  I have an Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card.  The Siemens card has a big
>>PLX on its chip.  Everything just "worked" after making a few additions
>>to the kernel, rc.conf etc.  After being up for a few days, I had a
>>problem (wi0: watchdog timeout) after the second day (the router is up
>>all the time.)
>

> I'm admittedly answering without reading your message in full
> detail.  But did you dig the archives before posting (or do you
> follow -mobile on a regular basis) and see the thread on
> PCI->PCMCIA bridges lately?

Yes, I searched the archives for hours before posting (note the time of
my mail).  I also track -mobile.  I don't always understand everything I
read :-)

> In late July I asked if "bridging is general enough a
> functionality so one could expect it to work in many / most
> combinations".  Warner Losh promptly replied with interesting
> points to obey in <20020725.231157.73515369.imp@bsdimp.com>.

Which problem, the watchdog timeout?

My question was why things _worked_. I was looking to better understand
what was going on before proceeding.  In fact, my guess (see original
post) was right on.  I have one of those "dumb" PCI->PCMCIA bridges,
which makes the Orinoco Silver card look like a PCI device, not a PCMCIA.

 > Can you try a combination of a bridge and a
> card from _one_ vendor?  Is your combination designed to work
> (suggested by the vendor(s)) or did you "somehow plug them
> together" after you grabbed the pieces?

I plugged them together.  In the archives I read that PLX would support
wi liberally, so I tried it.  It does works as I said.  My original
question was verifying why.

 > Reading about the "PLX" chip a currency / voltage issue might
 > be your problem.

As for the watchdog problem, I updated the Orinoco cards firmware to
v8.?  I thought I did this already when I updated the card used by my
laptop.  I haven't seen a problem since (at least not yet.)  I'll look
into the voltage later.  The box the card came in doesn't have much in
the way of those types of details.  However, this PCI card is probably
going back.  I want a "true" PCI->PCMCIA bridge so as to use pcic as I
originally expected.  Any suggestions (my next post will be asking this
very question.)

Thanks,
MikeC