Date:      Wed, 11 May 2011 07:38:41 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel-lucent.com>
To:        Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-sun4v@freebsd.org" <freebsd-sun4v@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dropping sun4v as a platform

--H8ygTp4AXg6deix2

On 2011-May-10 23:35:21 +0800, Attilio Rao <attilio@freebsd.org> wrote:
>I tried to look to a previous discussion on this and I failed to
>locate one, thus let me raise the point here.

Last discussion was in Aug 2008 - see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sun4v/2008-August/000035.html

At the time, I expressed an interest in working on it but that
necessitated getting sun4v working as a LDom guest and I found that
task was too big for the time I could allocate to it.

>As I'm working on on largeSMP support, I was wondering how much sense
>makes to fixing sun4v for this.

I guess it's a very good choice if you want lots of virtual CPUs
in a single small box but I'm not sure there's the critical mass
to get the existing code into a functional state.

>So what are objections (if any) about dropping sun4v?

I'd be sorry to see it go but unless there's someone with the
time and motivation to lead a sub-project to get it back into a
working state, I don't see much point in keeping it around.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--H8ygTp4AXg6deix2

--H8ygTp4AXg6deix2--