Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 18:10:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
Cc:        ian_stewart@nyro.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can FreeBSD be used in a commercial way?

> It is a complete OS. You you can't sell it. You
> can sell the value. Which could be packaging
> or support or something like that. Walnut Creek
> has great packaging. The guys on this list have
> great support.

Sorry, but wrong.  You *can* sell it.  What you can't sell is some of
the Copyright Walnut Creek CDROM code on the CDROM for doing installation.

The ability to sell it is *intentional* in the use of the UCB
copyright.  We would be perfectly happy (I think I speak for most
of us) if all the System V vendors in the world started selling
FreeBSD instead.

I think it's the collective opinion that if this happened, there would
still be significant benefit to the vendors rolling their changes back
to the main line source tree (for anything but packaging).  This is
true because it's likely that a vendor who repackaged the product with
hardware or their own software would want to take advanatage of changes
put into the main tree, as well as leveraging the net and lists for
support.

Consider: if you as a vendor made a fix to, say, the SIO driver, and
you didn't donate the fix back, there would be a rapidly diverging
source base from where you got your code cut.  With each rev in the
main source line of the affected files, your ability to integrate
is lessened.

In general, 500 volunteers can cause more changes than a small
group of paid employees.  8-).

Unless you want to freeze at a particular rev or deal with geometrically
increasing update conflicts, you donate back.  It's good business sense.

But the decision is not forced: you can in fact sell everything but the
GPL'ed pieces (and you can exclude them or give them away).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.