Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 08:59:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web Statistics break up program.

Roger Marquis recently said:

> On Fri, 21 May 1999, Enno Davids wrote:
>
> > The correct solution, is to 'mv' your logfile to another
> > temporary name in the same filesystem, then null the real name &
> > reset owners and permissions, then signal apache and then move
> > the logfile away to the archived name.

> The "correct" solution is to do whatever works on your system. For
> 99% of apache websites there is no need to HUP the httpd daemon
> and interrupt transfers in progress.

The original question was from someone who had a very busy site and
wanted to be sure (I'm guessing for traffic/billing purposes), that
the never lost a single record.

> The one disadvantage of copying /dev/null is that it is possible
> to lose log entries on busy servers however, from checking log
> files and rotated logfiles, it would have to be an extremely busy
> server to lose log entries.

That's the exact condition they were trying to avoid - it was an
extremely busy server. mv log log.o (or log.l ... if you keep many,
and then restart) will have the login continue to log.o (as the
inode is the same) until you send a HUP

--
bv@wjv.com