Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 06:57:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Shashi Joshi <shashi_kant_joshi@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, lowell@world.std.com
Subject:   filesystem question

Hi,
What is the limit on number of files/dir/subsirs on a filesystem?
Does creating/deleting temp files on a FS stress it too much, is bad
for it, canm cause disk errors?

e.g. If I have a flat file database which may result in a few thousand
files on a FS, (say 5 files per user), and will also result in creating
deleting and of course read/write of files. On the other hand, if I
install MySql or some other database, then I have only say 10-20 files
(including index files) and now the traffic passes through the database
thread. I mean instead of reading the OS files directly, the web page
will cause a DB query, which will pass file contents (data) to it.

Which one is better/How do they compare?

Thanks,
Shashi