Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 23:16:28 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall (was Re: Conclusion to "NT vs. Unix" debate)

Perhaps I'm just biased from my previous installation experience, but
the way I see this working is as a series of linked "black boxes",
each black box representing some functional block of installation
hackery with an API for getting/setting its internal state and
executing it.  You allow boxes to be named, to depend on other boxes
and to be arbitrarily chained together themselves. A "novice install"
then becomes a simple matter of creating a chain of operations and
starting the user off at the head of it.  You'd have some sort of
"escape mode" which allowed the user to jump up a level and examine
this operation chain, moving forwards or backwards and perhaps able to
distinguish completed from uncompleted actions by their appearance.

Sysinstall also currently requires that each functional block roll its
own GUI more or less from scratch - that's painful.  It'd be a lot
nicer if you could simply say that each block had some attributes and
when you "visited" one, more generic attribute editing code could take
over the job of presenting the appropriate dialogs.  You have some
known attributes for designating whether a block can be undone or has
gone past the point of no return, etc. and so forth.

Doncha think?

					Jordan