Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 17:19:28 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Jacob J. Pinsky" <jpinsky@radonc.som.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: atapi

Jacob J. Pinsky wrote:

> Could you please tell me the status of installation through an atapi
> cd-rom interface now.  The manual I have says that to create my boot
> disk, I need to use atapi.flp to install freebsd which is located in the
> directory /floppies  Unfortunately, there is no such file in that
> directory on my cd.  I have version 2.1.5  Any help would be
> appreciated.

That's very old documentation (and this is probably covered in the
FAQs). Just boot the standard boot.flp, and your CD will probably work.

Note: The CD must be connected to one of the "main" EIDE controllers
(the same ones you'd connect hard disks to, not one on a SoundBlaster).
If you have dual EIDE channels, the best way to connect the CD seems to
be either as the slave on the primary channel or alone on the secondary
channel.

You may also want to get a newer version. 2.1.5 is very old, and 2.2 and
above have improved ATAPI support, on top of a zillion other advantages.
See the web pages for details.

Nadav