Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:23:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
Cc:        Zach Barnett <zpb@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Packages and Ports

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Jonathan Arnold wrote:
> >I'm new to Freebsd, and I've been trying to learn about packages and ports.
> Packages are basically pre-built and nicely packaged ports. They're normally a lot easier to install, and much smaller. But, like the kernel, it is built for the widest range of computers, and thus may not be tuned to your computer.

Packages are super easy to install, although you kind of have to know what
name they are listed under (you can do this by ftp'ing to the FreeBSD.Org
site and do a directory listing).  The simplest method is:

myprompt$  pkg_add -r pkgname_here

Remember, these are a cookie-cutter one-size-fits-all mold, so you may wish
to instead manually ftp a package's directory (or tarball which is a *.tgz
or *.tar.gz file) to your box, peruse the contents and check out the
security etc then manually do a "make."

> It is also easier to keep up to date with ports, by using cvsup, while it does't seem to be as easy to keep up to date with packages. You have a lot of packages on your CDROMs, but as I found out in my recent move to FreeBSD, no where does it tell you which packages do you have, and on what CD are they.

To find out which packages *are* install already on your box, type:

myprompt$  pkg_info | more

To find out which packages are available on the CDROM(s), just mount the cd
drive and cd /-cdrom-mountpoint-/usr/src/...etc

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder