Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2002 22:01:22 -0500
From:      "Mike Poor [Compugenx, LLC]" <mike@compugenx.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XFree86 on ATI Rage Mobility

hey all,

I have been having some trouble installing XFree86 (3.3.6, 4.0.2/3, 4.1) on
my Sony Vaio PCG-FX210 running FreeBSD 4.4.

Laptop has a TFT screen, The ATI Rage Mobility video card with 8192 Memory
with the ATI Mach 64 chipset.  I have tried numerous methods of install,
from installing it from the ports collection, installing it through
sysinstall, installing it from source etc. The installation goes fine, but
the configuration fails.

if I run xf86config or X -configure, or in some cases when I execute X
-probeonly, I get a blank (black) screen.  The laptop freezes, and requires
reboot.

I have posted to the FreeBSD Mailing lists (people have been most helpful),
but am running out of options.  I have linux running XFree86-4.0.3 on the
same laptop.  I have tried using the same options that the linux was using
(i.e. horizontal and vert refresh, etc) but it still did not work.

Could any of you point me in a direction?

thanks,

-Mike

Mike Poor