Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:07:33 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Jonathan Graehl" <jonathan@graehl.org>, "freebsd-Arch" <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: configuration files, XML, Mac OS X release

At 3:18 PM -0800 3/25/01, Jonathan Graehl wrote:
>Apparently ( ... ) Mac OS X ships with the traditional set
>of Unix services (although they intentionally don't have a
>shell or probably a lot of the other standard programs we're
>used to).

It comes with /bin/sh, /bin/csh, /bin/tcsh, and /bin/zsh.
However, MacOS 10 applications (end-user, GUI-type) are
not supposed to depend on that being there.  The earlier
versions also included bash, but the released version does
not have it.

>They use XML configuration files to present a uniform graphical
>configuration for their daemons.
>
>Does anyone have a Mac with which to check it out?  Is source
>available to their entire userspace system, or just the OS
>itself?

Some of the configuration-related sources might not be
available.  I think Darwin (the open-source OS layer)
might do some of the system-configuration things
differently than MacOS 10.

>If Mac OS X has done configuration files right, perhaps we
>could copy their approach.  If not, we can learn from their
>mistakes.

I like some of the things they did with a user-level "defaults"
database, to get away from environment variables.  (there's a
unix command called 'defaults', at least in MacOS 10).