Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 21:05:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donnie Jones <donniejones18@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD router setup.

Hey all,

I am in dire need of help, as is probably most who
email this list.  :)

I have researched, read, attempted, and thrown things,
but all of this is to no avail for me to be able to
set up freebsd as a router.

My setup consists of a 75mhz pentium with 800mb hard
drive, and two ethernet cards, both intel ether
express pro 100's ( fxp0, fxp1 ).

I've set it up where the ethernet comes from the cable
modem to the first ethernet card, then another cable
from the second ethernet card to my 8-port ethernet
switch.

From the ethernet switch the cables are ran their
respective ethernet cards.

Now, since I haven't been able to accomplish this on
my own, I want to start over anew.  If someone could
please email me back with a detailed description of
how to set up the computer using FreeBSD as a router,
preferable using a dhcpd server to set the ip's on the
rest of the network, but it would also be helpful to
know how to set the ip's without dhcpd.

I hope to use this information to then edit some more
and add some of the trials and tribulations that I've
encountered then post it on the web as a FreeBSD
router howto of sorts.

Thank you all very much, and I am sorry for the length
of my email.

Pleading,

Donnie Jones