Date:      Thu, 03 Apr 1997 19:57:15 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Things moving around on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

>On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, David Greenman wrote:
>
>> this. I know that mirror can be told to follow all symlinks, but this is
>> bad when you use symlinks within a filesystem (ports -> current/ports) because
>> it will cause the mirror site to needlessly consume massive amounts of disk
>> space.
>
>	You lost me on this one...how does that consume massive amounts of
>disk space?  You aren't *using* any more space, only moving the same amount of
>space to a different area...no?

   Mirror will follow the symlink and individually create the directory
hierarchies that it points to. Thus "ports -> current/ports" and "new_ports
-> current/ports" will create *three* copies of "ports" and no symlinks
will be created. ...but you have to tell it to do this (I forget the option).
Normally it just creates symlinks that are within the current tree and ignores
those that point outside of the current tree.

-DG

David Greenman