Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 06:22:38 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: most complex code in BSD?

When I took the two-day FreeBSD Internals course McKusick taught, he
brought up the context-switching code.

The original UNIX authors were not much on comments.  When they put a
comment, it was to explain something really, really, *really* difficult.

Apparently there was a seven-word comment in the context switching
code that gave him a bit of a start: "You are not expected to
understand this."  Don't know if it's still there, but it's still
probably pretty scary.

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 02:27:41AM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:
> > In everyone's opinion, what is the most complex code in the BSD codebase?
> > Not including asm (unless there is an especialy exemplary example of
> > obfuscated code, but it seems compilers are better at that  ;-) what code is
> > most likely to turn a newbie's brain to tapioca?
>
> Most likely NFS, though it's not as bad as it used to be.  The VFS
> system is probably a close second (namei() anyone?).
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org

Michael Lucas