Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:09:41 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@amdmi3.ru>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Recent ports removal

On 11/10/2011 03:06, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> * Baptiste Daroussin (bapt@FreeBSD.org) wrote:

>> They have been deprecated for a while and noone said anything about those, that
>> is the purpose of the DEPRECATED status. The "not used anymore" mean not used in
>
> Why should we go through it again and again? If it's not broken, it's
> useable, you may not remove it, period.

Yes, we realize that you, and a small minority of other interested
parties, have this belief in spite of endless repetition of the
reasoning, by the people who do the actual work to keep the ports tree
functional, as to why your desire to keep every port is not a workable
solution.

I personally have handled the removal of hundreds of broken and
vulnerable ports over the last several months. A very small percentage
(2% perhaps?) were ports that people cared enough to fix, and the fact
that someone fixed them is a great outcome. OTOH, in several cases after
contacting the port's maintainer I was told that yes indeed, they would
like the port removed, but were unsure of how to go about it.

The removed ports are in the CVS attic where any interested party can
retrieve and fix them. However the fact that no one has made a peep
about them is a pretty strong indication that they were simply dead
weight that we were carrying for no good reason.

Doug

--

		"We could put the whole Internet into a book."
		"Too practical."