Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2017 20:01:57 -0700
From:      Patrick Mahan <mahan@mahan.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WIFI as access point

On 3/15/17 5:18 PM, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com
>> <mailto:luzar722@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Dima Panov wrote:
>>

>>         Ernie Luzar wrote:
>>
>>             Hello List;
>>
>>             I have this wifi card
>>
>> http://www.dlink.com/al/sq/products/dwa-556-xtreme-n-pci-express-desktop-adapter
>>
>> <http://www.dlink.com/al/sq/products/dwa-556-xtreme-n-pci-express-desktop-adapter>;
>>

>>             I recovered it from a decommissioned win7 box. On win7 this
>>             wifi card
>>             could only be used to connect to a router access point.
>>
>>             If I add this wifi card to my FreeBSD 11.0 system can it be
>>             configured
>>             to function as an access point?
>>

>>         This card is fully support by ath driver as "AR5418 Wireless Network
>>         Adapter".
>>         Copmlete examples with various AP setup described in manual page
>>         for driver.
>>

>>     I have followed the handbook "30.3.6 Freebsd Host Access Points"
>>     Chapter in setting up this ath0 wifi card that is installed into my
>>     gateway box that has a LAN on it. A win7 laptop can see the ssid and
>>     connect to it. But it can not gain public internet access. Win7 wifi
>>     trouble shooting says no valid ip address and not end point. To me
>>     this sounds like a network configuration problem on my Freebsd
>>     gateway box.
>>
>>     /root >ifconfig wlan0
>>     wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 0
>>             ether 00:18:e7:d5:b3:84
>>             inet 10.0.10.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.10.255
>>             nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
>>             media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11ng
>>             <hostap>
>>             status: running
>>             ssid FBSD_AP channel 1 (2412 MHz 11g ht/40+) bssid
>>             00:18:e7:d5:b3:84
>>             regdomain FCC indoor ecm authmode WPA2/802.11i privacy MIXED
>>             deftxkey 3 AES-CCM 2:128-bit AES-CCM 3:128-bit txpower 27
>>             scanvalid 60
>>             protmode CTS ampdulimit 64k ampdudensity 8 shortgi wme burst
>>             dtimperiod 1 -dfs
>>             groups: wlan
>>

>>     /root >cat /etc/hostapd.conf
>>     interface=wlan0
>>     debug=2
>>     ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
>>     ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>>     ssid=FBSD_AP
>>     wpa=2
>>     wpa_passphrase=test
>>     wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
>>     wpa_pairwise=CCMP
>>

>>     /root >cat /etc/rc.conf
>>     Snip
>>
>>     gateway_enable="YES"
>>
>>     ifconfig_em0="DHCP"                # from cable modem
>>     ifconfig_vge0="inet 10.0.10.2"     # to LAN switch
>>
>>     # Wifi in hostap mode
>>     wlans_ath0="wlan0"
>>     create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
>>     ifconfig_wlan0="inet 10.0.10.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 ssid FBSD_AP
>>     mode  11g"
> [...]

It depends.  Are you setting the default gateway in the DHCP lease so the win7
box knows to forward to you?  What is the default gateway on the FBSD box?  How
is the win7 resolving hostnames?  Can you ping the em0 address from the win7 box?
Is the em0 address a public or private address?  If private, how are you going to
route from the cable modem back to your WiFi subnet?

This is all needed to determine why the win7 box cannot reach the internet.

Patrick