Date:      Wed, 07 May 2008 14:43:32 -0400
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        gary.jennejohn@freenet.de
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying for a duplex printer

Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Tue, 06 May 2008 12:43:08 -0400
> Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> wrote:

>> I have been scouring all the data I can, to find printers that do duplex
>> printing (that means doublesided printing).  I found 3 models, but two of them
>> (the HP C7280 and the Canon PIXMA MX850) have no public drivers I can find.  The
>> third, which is the Epson RX680, seems to be supported via drivers from Avasys
>> (http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000900/hpg000000859.htm) called PIPS drivers, but
>> while there is are ports for various versions of PIPS in the print dir of ports,
>> and I can find that the Avasys site lists supporting the RX680, I have two problems:
>>
>> 1) I can't determine which (if any) of the PIPS ports support the RX680, and
>> 2) right now, none of them build because of an error you get about a
>>    linuxwrapper not handling symbol versioning.
>>
>> Is there any way to rely on any FreeBSD port to be able to use the RX680 from
>> Epson?
>>

> I'm using a Kyocera FS-1030D (the 'D' means duplex).  Yes, it works.
>
> It works just fine with CUPS.  It could be that one of the printers
> which you're looking at would also work with CUPS.
>
> What you need to find is a PPD file which describes your printer. Mine
> uses Kyocera_FS-1030_en.ppd.
>
> There's a Linux-specific site which has these PPDs available, which is
> pretty easy to find with google.

Thanks, Gary.  Took me quite a while to find this baby, because it seems that
Kyocera's main site doesn't acknowledge of the Kyocera-Mita's products.  I
finally found out that it's a fairly big  monochrome laser.  I rather like the
color I get from the cheaper inkjets, although I sure would rather get one with
a FreeBSD driver.  Further, from what I could find, I couldn't tell if it was a
postscript native printer, and I am dead-set against any postscript native
printers, because I used to have one, and when compared to any innkset that must
use a translator such as ghostscript, the postscript native printers are (or, at
least used to be) dead slow.  Maybe it took them too long to transfer big
postscript files, or maybe it took the internal processors too long to
translate, I dunno, but when I had one of the original old HP laserjets with a
postscript cartridge, and I converted to using ghostscript about a year after I
got it, I was shocked that my print rate went up about 4-5 times as fast.  I
could actually get the advertised print rates.

I suppose my next trick is to attempt to find out about glib's symbol
versioning, enough so that it could be added to the linuxwrapper.  Then (I hope)
I get the PIPS driver that exists for the Epson RX680.