Date:      Sat, 5 Nov 2016 16:58:19 +0100
From:      Rainer Hurling <rhurlin@gwdg.de>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: devel/llvm38 install seems to be missing files (e.g., FileCheck)

Hi David,

Am 05.11.2016 um 14:54 schrieb David Wolfskill:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2016 at 05:26:33AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
>> I circumvented the problem: ...
>>
>> g1-252(11.0-S)[20] sudo cp -p !$ /usr/local/llvm38/bin/
>> sudo cp -p work/stage/usr/local/llvm38/bin/FileCheck /usr/local/llvm38/bin/
>> g1-252(11.0-S)[21]
>>
>> That done, lang/rust built.
>>
>> My build machine is doing the first of its weekend poudriere runs
>> as I type; if that shows anything relevant with respect to lang/rust
>> and devel/llvm38, I'll follow up.
>
> Turns out that "PORT_LLVM" is, by default, off; I had turned it on since
> I had other reasons to need llvm38 anyway.
>
> And since I only use lang/rust as a build dependency (e.g., for
> www/fierfox), I had not specified any non-default options for the
> poudriere build.  Thus, poudriere had built rust using the "bundled"
> llvm38, which apparently has FileCheck in the place where the rust
> config looks for it.  So poudriere didn't have an issue building
> www/firefox (which required lang/rust).
>
> Am I incorrect in thinking that devel/llvm38 has a problem, though, in
> that "%%LIT%%llvm38/bin/FileCheck" is in that port's pkg-plist, and
> llvm38/bin/FileCheck is found in the staging directory, but
> llvm38/bin/FileCheck is not actually installed?

not sure, if I missed something in your postings.

On my boxes, all recent FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT amd64, the port
devel/llvm38 installed FileCheck as expected, in the two places
/usr/local/llvm38/bin/ and /usr/local/bin/.

Unfortunately, I have no clue, what happens on your side.

Best wishes,
Rainer Hurling