Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:24:14 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Ashley Penney <ashp@bastard.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with MAKEDEV.

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 11:41:55AM +0100, Ashley Penney wrote:
> When booting up I noticed the block device warning message.  I
> did some investigation and discovered that some ad4/ad5 devices
> were still block ones.  It seems that the MAKEDEV script only
> makes up to ad3, but my disks are on ad4/ad5 (ATA-66, Abit BP6).
>
> Simply adding ad4 ad5 onto the script fixes it, but it's not
> the best fix, I feel.

Nope.  What you've done is to have the standard ``MAKEDEV all'' create
ad4 & ad5, which isn't really what is wanted.  You probably created the
non-by-default ad[45] devices before MAKEDEV was converted to only make
raw devices.  In your case a simple ``MAKEDEV ad4 ; MAKEDEV ad5'' with a
current MAKEDEV should have fixed you right up.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)