Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:34:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Anthony Kimball <alk@pobox.com>
To:        pulsifer@mediaone.net
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Revisitted.. Threads goals.?

Quoth Allen Pulsifer on Tue, 30 November:
:
: The purpose of threads is to provide a more efficient method
: of multitasking.

Threads can't do anything that asynchronous I/O can't do for you
better, in terms of throughput efficiency -- indeed, until
threads execute in parallel, the distinction is merely one of API.

: Implementation details aside, it seems to me that one
: of the major points Matt Dillion is looking for is
: the ability for two threads, bound to the same
: process, to run simultaneously on two different
: CPU's.

It would defeat the value of the effort from my POV.  I'm not an
active contributor to this effort, but as for myself, the value
of the effort lies in SMP performance portability, i.e. the ability
to write scalable thread code that runs at throughput proportionate
to hardware capability on a variety of systems, such as Solaris,
Linux, IRIX, and FreeBSD.