Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 1995 11:09:41 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to change name of this list to a less embarrassing one

>At 05:59 AM 5/7/95, Peter Dufault wrote:
>>Hackers is fine with me and I don't see the need for a change, but:
>
>I agree with this, "hackers" is OK since mailing list subscriptions aren't
>(in my experience) a management issue.
>
>Once you've got past "Free" BSD that is...

Free is a good thing, everyone likes something free. But "hackers"
definately has a negative implications in the "minds of most"..like a bunch
of college kids playing in their basements. Its not politically
acceptable.....although a case can be made that the whole concept of the
project is one of non-conformance; you can stand by your principles as long
as you don't care if anyone uses it.

db