Date:      Fri, 2 Dec 2016 10:28:09 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to become a developer/commiter to FreeBSD

--5R4DdR7gh8HRLeudUkA51nDL3glB283cV
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--mmMBtTNOXKIDuFh8SLuqdnMXueo5e6sVV

On 2016/12/02 02:42, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> Don't promise yourself too much. I have problem reports with
> proposed fixes running for years. I even wrote to the list
> that I will not report anything more before my running
> reports will be processed, and nothing happened.

I am sorry to hear that.  It is something I've experienced myself too --
I once had a patch committed about 4 years after I'd submitted it and
completely forgotten all about it in the mean time.

Yes, this can be a problem.  FreeBSD relies (mostly) on volunteers to do
the work, and there is always more work to do than volunteers available.
 People that step up and propose good quality patches should be welcomed
with open arms, but they can also fall through the net quite easily.  It
helps if you can make friends with the appropriate people online --
enough so that they will respond to gentle prodding about looking at
your patches.  That really shouldn't be necessary, but it is the way the
world is.

Please don't feel that you are being specifically ignored.

	Cheers,

	Matthew