Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 02:57:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   VLB controllers: benefits? which one to buy?

A friend of mine posed a question to me, which, quite frankly, I don't
know the answer to.

He currently has a 486DX2/66 with 16 MB of memory.  The motherboard is
ISA + VLB.  His primary hard drive is a IBM 0662 (1 GB FAST SCSI-2
drive), and his controller is an Adaptec AHA-1542CP (same as the 1542CF,
but with Plug and Play support).  He runs both Windows 95 and FreeBSD
2.1-RELEASE.

He was wondering if there was any real difference in performance between
his ISA board (1542CP) and a VLB-based SCSI controller.  Will it be
faster, or is there not really a noticable difference?

I remember back when I had IDE drives, when I switched from a 16-bit ISA
to a 32-bit VLB IDE controller, I was not impressed with the (small)
speed difference it gave me.  But maybe SCSI is different?  I don't
really know, so I couldn't really answer his question myself.

He also would like to know, out of curiosity, what VLB SCSI controllers
would be the best to buy, and how much to expect to pay for one.
Obviously it would have to be compatible with FreeBSD and Win95.

He's not planning on getting a Pentium or PCI or whatnot any time soon,
or else he said he'd probably get one of those NCR chips that everyone's
talking about.

Thanks for the assistance!

Donald Burr [d_burr@ix.netcom.com], PO Box 91212, Santa Barbara CA 93190-1212
TEL (805)564-1871 / FAX 564-2315 / WWW http://www.geopages.com/WallStreet/2072
PGP Public Key available by request (send e-mail) or on Public Key Servers.
** Uphold your right to privacy - Use PGP. **