Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2017 04:47:03 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: disk space needs for source based system and ports?

from Mark Millard:

> Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com wrote on Tue Mar 28 08:10:44 UTC 2017 :

> > This raises the question, how much diskspace is required or advised for a full
> > FreeBSD installation if both the base system and ports are built from source?

> I've only ever built a very small portion of all the ports. There are
> 10s of thousands of ports as I understand. (I've not tried to count
> them.) In the environment with the most ports I'v got 331 ports built.
> (I've had  more in the past.)

> [You do not mention if you are only interested in one TARGET_ARCH
> (such as amd64) or multiple/all of them.]

> Someone may be able to answer for how space is managed on official
> FreeBSD build servers.

> Various ports that I've built or tried to build were very dependent
> on the configuration (build options, compile options, etc.) for how big
> they end up being. Some fail to build at all with WITH_DEBUG= : bugzilla
> 206279 is about www/webkit-qt5 running into a file size limit and
> aborting: ar does not allow > 4 GiByte archives.

> Also I tend to leave the /usr/obj/ ports subtrees around uncleaned so
> that I have access to source and such if problems show up. (I clean
> before building, not after.) This uses large amounts of space.

> Environment with 331 ports: about  73 GiByte used
> Environment with 107 ports: about 227 GiBytes used
> But that last has the devel/llvm40 build with WITH_DEBUG= used based
> on a standard /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.ports.mk file. Just the related
> /usr/obj/ content for that is about 118 GiBytes and the installed
> llvm40 materials are about 49 GiBytes for the specific configuration:
> so about 167 GiBytes for llvm40 as I have tend to build things.

> [If I remember right I also thought at the time that webkit-qt5 used
> the WITH_DEBUG on its own independently of FreeBSD and so defining
> it for FreeBSD caused more than intended. I could have been wrong
> about this. I stopped using such and so have not tried again. Still
> I wish FreeBSD had piked something less likely to have potential
> conflicts/less-generic, say, possibly, FBSD_WITH_DEBUG.]

> > Some messages in this thread have raised the possibility of needing 49 to over
> > 100 GB, which is much more than I have allotted.

> If your goals allow avoiding WITH_DEBUG= that will help greatly because
> some ports turn into massive things built that way.

> So would building with clean-up after each port is built.

> > Also, what about space for a local repository when using synth for ports?

> I've never used synth and most environments that I use are not supported
> by synth. So I'm unlikely to use it.

> I've only done a few poudriere-devel experiments and none of my
> environments are based on it (so far).

> > I could run out of space on some of my partitions but could make a much bigger
> > separate partition if necessary, 500 GB or more.

> Without more detail on what is to be built with what build
> options and the like I doubt you will get a detailed figure.

> [...]

I use mainly FreeBSD-current amd64 but also sometimes i386; also stable, so that makes at most four different TARGET_ARCH and FreeBSD version combinations.

Generally I don't build WITH_DEBUG.  In some cases, such as synth, I might want to keep the source code, Ada being the big attraction in this case.

But in your position, I can see where you might need the debugging info.  I generally make a log of all builds: world, kernel and ports; especially useful if an error occurs.

Building FreeBSD base system also uses llvm following the switch from gcc-4.2.1 to clang.

I build a lot of ports because I want the web browsers like Mozilla Seamonkey or Firefox; I would also like to try Midori, Xombrero, Netsurf, maybe Otter, maybe Chromium; I want multimedia as much as possible.

I would not need all those browsers on multiple FreeBSD installations, just want to try them out.

I've had builds going up to 18 or 21 hours, don't try to go that long if possible.

A big spare partition of maybe 500 GB might be a good idea just in case, could even be used with NetBSD.  Maybe 500 GB would be overkill, I might also need a similar partition for Linux.

Tom