Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:23:52 -0500
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: DVD's and FreeBSD

Gary Kline wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 04:05:23PM -0700, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>> Gary Kline wrote:
>>> 	Update:
>>>
>>> 	Well, totem chokes when trying to play a DVD,
>> Totem is not good DVD player and that has to do nothing with the
>> FreeBSD, OpenBSD or whatever Linux you want to use. You may read
>> here why is so difficult to use DVDs
>> http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
>
> 	I will see why totem just-works {TM} with Ubuntu.  While here it
> 	is missing plugin, etc......
>> Ogle is by far the best DVD player but VLC and MPlayer are able to play
>> stunning number of different proprietary and non-proprietary video and
>> audio formats.

I know that comment about ogle certainly used to be correct. but I think
that may possibly be dated information.  My FreeBSD machine is pretty
new, squeaky-clean, and all of the following dvd players (ones which I
have tried so far, doesn't mean they're the only ones either) work just
great: vlc, xine, ogle.  Even though kmplayer works, I found it's
interface (which uses mplayer and xine as backends) ssmed a little clunky.

Anyhow, it might be time for taking another looksee.  All 3 of those
)vlc, ogle, xine) were really sharp and easy to use, good 5.1 audio
using my optically connected sound system.