Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:19:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Andrew Atrens" <atrens@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cd writer recommendation?

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Doug Ambrisko wrote:

> I think that most IDE CD-R/CD-RW will just work using Soren's ata driver
> in current.  I'm doing that on my laptop right now with a hacked pccard and
> hacked ata driver.  Also I have an external IDE hard disk as well.  I do have
> a problem with buffer underflows when do a mkisofs to a 4X write over
> PCMCIA.  2X works fine.

Making your dd blocksize a multiple (say 10) of physical blocksize should
cure this. I use something like:

AUBLKSIZE=2352
AUWRSIZE=5
AURDSIZE=`expr $AUWRSIZE '*' 2`

OBS=`expr $AUBLKSIZE '*' $AUWRSIZE`
IBS=`expr $AUBLKSIZE '*' $AURDSIZE`

rtprio 5 team -v 1m 5 <$1 | \
      rtprio 4 dd ibs=$IBS of=$WORM obs=$OBS conv=osync || exit

ymmv,

Andrew.

--
+--
| Andrew Atrens                 Nortel Networks, Ottawa, Canada. |