Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2013 12:52:17 -0600
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPMI SOL setup on FreeBSD 9.1 amd64 supermicro X9SCM-F/X9CL-F

I have a couple servers that are built using the supermicro X9SCM-F/X9CL-F
motherboards, and I can't quite get IPMI SOL working right.

These motherboards have 3 NIC's.  One NIC is for a dedicated IPMI interface.

I have both servers configured to use the dedicated IPMI NIC and these
NIC's are plugged into a separate unmanaged switch.

Both systems boards are set to redirect com1.  I changed /etc/ttys to run a
getty on /dev/ttyu0.  I have com1 configured to 115,200 baud, 8, n, 1, no
flowcontrol in the BIOS.  I in have /etc/ttys:
ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on secure

Using one server, I start an IPMI SOL session to the other server.  But all
I get is the IPMI SOL output, no login prompt.
If I reboot the server I am SOL connected to, I do see the BIOS boot
messages, and even the initial FreeBSD boot prompt.  I can even make boot
prompt changes from the SOL session.  Once boot starts the SOL gets no more
output.

I looked at both servers and the one I am using to initiate the SOL has
/dev/ipmi0 and ipmitool working fine.  On the server I am trying to connect
to has /dev/ipmi1 and ipmitool errors:
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No
such file or directory

These are identical motherboards.

I suspect that because the one system creates /dev/ipmi1 instead of
/dev/ipmi0 may be why the SOL output stops right after the boot starts.

If I do:
ln -s /dev/ipmi1 /dev/ipmi0

ipmitool works fine, until the next reboot.

How can I get the one system to make /dev/ipmi0 instead of /dev/ipmi1?

In FreeBSD 9.1 do I use hint.uart instead of hint.sio in /boot/loader.conf?

Any help would be appreciated.

         -Derek
         derek at computinginnovations.com

believed to be clean.