Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:46:45 -0600
From:      Hamilton Hoover <hamilton@twopoint.com>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dual homed gateway system running ipfw and nat. need rules help.

>>I am running a dual homed system (2 nics) acting as a >>gateway/firewall for our office T1. The private net uses >>192.x.x.x and the public uses a 'real' address of 209.x.x.x. >>The firewall is up and seems to be working well. I used >>rc.firewall "simple" and have customized it to our needs. All >>outgoing requests appear to to originating from the public >>interface. I want to be able to do two things that I have not >>been able to figure out yet.

>>1) We keep out pop server on the private net. I need to be >>able to get the incoming mail passed to the mail server that >>has a 192.x.x.x address. I was thinking something like:

>         Incoming from the outside or inside?

Incoming from the public net.

>>${fwcmd} pass tcp from any 25 to 192.x.x.x

>         The POP server runs on port 110 not 25, that's SMTP.

ok. then I change that from 25 to 110? I run qmail on a linux box on my
private net.

>>Is this solid or am I opening myself up from more problems. I >>don't want to relay from outside as mail is only checked from >>inside the private side.

>If you don't want mail from the outside world or users to send >mail to the outside world, then this should work.  Is the BSD >machine acting as a mail server?

um, no. I want users to be able to read and send mail normally from the
private side to the public side and, I want mail from the outside world
to pass in to the mail server that is on the private side, mail server
is not running on the gateway/firewall. I allow all outgoing traffic ie;
from private to public so I don't think 'outgoing' mail needs its own
rule? But I have not been able to get mail from the public net to get
passed to my mail server on the private net.

thanks,
Hamilton Hoover