Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:28:29 -0300 (ADT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        bush doctor <dervish@bantu.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pmake binaries for Solaris

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, bush doctor wrote:

> Out of da blue Wolfram Schneider aka (wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de) said:
> > I ported pmake to SunOS 5.5.1, 5.6, and 5.7. The port based on the
> > FreeBSD-4.0-current make version from 9th September 1999.
> >
> > I successfully compiled pmake itself and the FreeBSD Web server.
> >
> > The binaries are available at
> > http://www.de.freebsd.org/~wosch/src/pmake/
> This should be nice.  The number of solaris boxen I administering
> seems to be growing faster that the FBSD boxen.  Nice work & thanxs ...

I'm still fighting to get a FBSD boxen into the office...have my immediate
boss convinced that we should, but her boss is still convinced that
Solaris is the only Unix OS out there *sigh*

Does anyone have any *good* comparisons between the two?  Something like
the work that Brad Knowles (?) did recently with Vinum vs DPT SmartCache
controllers?

If nobody...I'm just working on a Dual PIII upgrade to one of our servers
here...if someone could suggest a 'test suite' that I could run on FreeBSD
(SMP) before I switched things over to Solaris, I'd be more then willing
to run it through so that it was a 'same hardware' scenario.  The system
(hardware-wise) I'm building is such that it is 'FreeBSD-friendly', as
are all the x86 systems I'm building...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org