Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 2004 02:08:18 +0900
From:      Hiroharu Tamaru <tamaru@myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to receive BIOS console redirection?

Hello all,

I have a Supermicrio P4SC8 motherboard and I want to receive
its BIOS console redirect output on another FreeBSD box.
The motherboard is checking for *something* to see if a
serial terminal is attached, and rejects the link.

I tried 'tip com1' with an /etc/remote setup of

com1:dv=/dev/cuaa0:br#115200:pa=none:

and ports/comms/kermit with

set line /dev/cuaa0
set speed 115200
set carrier-watch off
connect

and in both cases, the motherboard times out and abandons
the redirection.

On the other hand, when I use MS Windows' HyperTerminal, it
works.  Interestingly, after the redirection starts (on
HypterTerminal), I can pullout the serial cable from this
Windows box and attach it to the FreeBSD box running a tip
session, and now the output is recieved by the FreeBSD box,
and I can tweek the BIOS setup as much as I like.  So, I
assume the ususal communication parameters are OK, but there
is some signal setup that is missing here, that the
Supermicro M/B is looking for.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here running such a setup. So,
could someone enlighten me where to tweek?

I've tried 4.10-stable and 5.2.1-RELEASE if that matters.
--
Hiroharu Tamaru