Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 03:31:21 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Opera (was: Linux emulation problem)

> Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:02:12 -0700
> From: Kelsey Cummings <kgc@sonic.net>
>
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 10:37:17PM -0000, dev-null@no-id.com
> wrote:
> > Ok, this isn't a question per se. I did as the two kind
> > replies suggested and installed the linux libs from ports. Now
> > opera is working. But it's not just working. It's working GREAT! ;-)
> > Unlike that memory scrooge bug farm Nutscrape, Opera isn't
> > crashing/freezing itself, nor is it bringing X down. I'm so
> > impressed with it that I thought it was my responsibility to
> > lighten the path for other readers of this list who may be
> > experiencing Netscape troubles of their own....

> I love it too, but opera does have some quirks that I hven't figured out
> yet.  It doesn't work right with some web apps that we use internally
> that have always worked with NS and IE.  Of course, it *IS* adware until
> registered.

It's a lot better than it used to be.  I use it as my main browser
now.  It is my unscientific opinion that the vast majority of pages
or apps that won't work with Opera nowadays are ones which pander to
generally non-standard idiosyncracies of IE and Netscape, rather than
flaws with Opera.  Well worth the $39, they deserve support for
giving us a nice alternative.  (At least they are out front with
their revenue source.  I don't consider IE or NS free, you are just
paying for them by legitimizing other aspects of TimeWarner/AOL or
Microsoft's efforts at dominating the net)

My least favorite aspect at the moment is the bookmark feature,
so for now I use Netscape for bookmarks and open the Netscape html
bookmark file in Opera when I want to access it. (Bless Netscape for
at least making that an html file)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium