Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 20:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12541: gtk installs itself where it can't be found

The following reply was made to PR ports/12541; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:21:38 +0930

 On Tuesday,  6 July 1999 at 21:27:59 -0500, Steve Price wrote:
 > On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

 > #
 > # 	x11-toolkits/gtk12 installs its files in
 > # 	/usr/X11R6/include/gtk12 and /usr/X11R6/lib/libgtk12.  It's
 > # 	possible to find these paths with the config utility, which in
 > # 	the source tree is called gtk-config, and some ports (at least
 > # 	xscreensaver) do this, but the file gets installed as
 > # 	/usr/X11R6/bin/gtk12-config, which breaks configuration
 > # 	scripts.
 >
 > This is because we have multiple copies of the gtk* ports.  The
 > gtk-1.0 port installs gtk-config.  The gtk-1.1 installs gtk11-config.
 > The gtk-1.2 port installs gtk12-config.  Same goes for the glib*
 > ports. This is not a bug, rather by design to allow multiple versions
 > of the same port to co-exist because for awhile the gtk* and glib*
 > ports were so fast a moving target that we had ports requiring
 > different minor versions of the three ports we had in the tree.  I
 > think most of the ports now use gtk-1.2, so this is not much of a
 > problem now.  In fact,
 >
 > bonsai[/usr/ports]$ grep x11-toolkits/gtk12 */*/Makefile | wc -l
 >       61
 > bonsai[/usr/ports]$ grep x11-toolkits/gtk11 */*/Makefile | wc -l
 >        0
 > bonsai[/usr/ports]$ grep x11-toolkits/gtk10 */*/Makefile | wc -l
 >        7
 >
 > Looks likes we should remove the gtk11 port now since it is not
 > used.  The gtk10 port can probably go too, if we mark the few that
 > use it as broken until we get them to work with gtk12.
 >
 > Were you having problems with any ports in particular needing
 > gtk-config that didn't have a dependency on the gtk10 port?  Or
 > was this with software not in the ports collection?

 This was with x11/xscreensaver (see the PR I've entered against that
 port).  It goes out looking for gtk-config and doesn't find it.

 I can appreciate that there might be a need to link against a specific
 version of gtk, and the current method is fine for software that knows
 what it's looking for, but most software would expect to be able to
 find *something* under the name gtk-config.  That's why my suggested
 fix was a link, not a rename.  I still think this is a bug, not a
 feature.

 Greg