Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 09:14:26 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Andrew <andrew@iaccess.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfilter and transproxy

Hi,

If your redirecting people's WEB requests to Squid's proxy port - I'm not
too sure this is going to work...

Imagine - A user want to go to a web page, so they key in
'www.somewhere.com', this gets resolved to an IP address - the browser then
connects to that IP address and says "Give me URL:/" (i.e. the base)...

The URL of :/ as you've seen doesn't mean anything to Squid which expects a
nice proxy-formatted URL / request on it's proxy port...

If your doing this for 1 Web site, then you should look at squid's 'http
accelerator' options...

If your doing it for multiple sites - you might have to remind us of what
your trying to acheive... It may not be possible... :-(

Regards,

Karl Pielorz