Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 10:27:02 +0200
From:      Michele Costabile <mico@zucchetti.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network problem (stall after a few packets)

I have installed FreeBSD 4.6.2 on a system with a Realtek RTL8139
network card and I see a strange behaviour: I connect to the network,
and get my IP with DHCP, but when I start a connection, e.g. I open lynx
  or a X browser, I download a few chilobytes and then the network stalls.
I have tried 4.5 on the same machine and I did not experience this
problem, I also use Windows every day on the same hardware and it works
fine, so I am pretty sure that it is some comfiguration error I made.
Oddly, I have less problems with www.freebsd.org than with java.sun.com
or other sites.
I installed Debian Linux 3.3r0 and I found the same problem.
I am not sure if I enabled IPv6 (how can i tell?).
Where could I start from for troubleshooting the problem?
I would like to be able to reconfigure rl0 in different ways, but I do
not know how (reinstalling everything is too stupid).
I had experience with 4.3BSD on Sun, VAX and SVR4 from 1985 to 1992, so
I think I can catch up easily once I have some pointers in hand.
Thank you very much!

Michele Costabile