Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:21:30 GMT
From:      freebsd@kempston.demon.co.uk (Mike Mann)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dual boot on wd0: fbsd(old)/fbsd(mew)

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:10:15 -0800 (PST), Doug White
<dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Gregory G. Losik wrote:

>> Wonder if someone would clarify why I can't dual boot two different
>> versions of fbsd located in wd0s2(2.2.2) and wd0s4(2.2.5)?

>Our boot blocks are pretty dumb; it searches for the first slice with the
>correct type and boots it.  You won't be able to boot wd0s4 unless you
>disable wd0s2 first.

Sorry if this is a silly question (I'm not entirely sure what 'type'
means in this context) but I'm wondering if this answer applies to my
configuration where I have both FreeBSD and Linux installed on my
second HD.

FreeBSD sees the disc as:

Name   Ptype  Desc      Subtype
wd3s1    2    fat          6    <-DOS d:
wd3s2    3    freebsd    165    <-FreeBSD
wd3s3    4    extended     5    <-Linux

and Linux sees wd3s3 as a succession of partitions named hdd5 to hdd9.

FreeBSD boots and works perfectly but I've been unable to boot Linux
since installing it.  The FreeBSD boot manager doesn't seem to be able
to see the Linux partition, OS-BS doesn't seem to be able to boot from
a second disc and the Linux LILO boot manager failed to install (don't
know why yet).

Any suggestions will be very welcome (including "it's not possible" to
save me wasting more time :-).   Perhaps I should buy a third disc?

Regards, Mike.

--
Home: freebsd@kempston.demon.co.uk