Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:08:46 +0000
From:      ict technician <ict@cardinalnewman.coventry.sch.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: em0 checksum errors

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 2:34 pm, ict technician wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 March 2004 12:28 pm, ict technician wrote:
> > I've been testing an application which uses UDP. I was having
> > difficulties so I started taking packet dumps. I noticed that many
> > packets have bad checksums. The errors are mostly on UDP packets but I do
> > see some TCP packets with errors also. This occurs on system applications
> > without the new app. running, e.g. dns/ssh
> >
> > This is reproducable on more than one system, although the NICs are
> > probably from the same batch, as I bought a box of 5 out of 7 in use.
> > Systems are 4.9-RELEASEp1/p2.
> >
> > The cards are Intel PRO/1000 MT Server. I'll get the numbers off the card
> > shortly.
> >
> > One box on stable (18th Feb) seems okay so I'm going to try stable on my
> > test box and see if that cures it.
> >
> > I won't spam the list with the dump.
>
> replies to self - how uncouth.
>
> While it's building I decide to re-read the recent thread
> http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?6.0.3.0.0.20040226131930.10513908
>
> I'd discounted this as I wasn't seeing the EEPROM message.
>
> Sure enough, moving the em0 card seems to fix the problem.
>
> I'll reply to self again once I confirm the conflicting item ;)

Aaarrrgghhh, evil PC hardware.

Once I'd moved the NIC it decided to work. However, I moved the card back to
it's original slot and could no longer reproduce the fault.

All the other boxes with these cards are production but I can play with the
"backup server" which only need to run at night.

Tried a cold boot. No joy.
Then I swapped the NIC. No joy. Noted that it's different C31527-002 vs
A92165-004. Not listed as supported but according to Intel it's the same
part.

Much swapping of cards to no avail. Trying more stuff :((

--
i j hart

ICT Technician
Cardinal Newman Catholic School & Community College