Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 10:18:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SKIP

Okay,

	Here is what I have/have to do.

      /^^^^^\          ROUTER 1
     ( LAN 1 }--{ipfw/(skip|swipe|...)}--{Pipeline 50}
      \vvvvv/                                 |

                                            {ISP}
                         <---Internet--->
             {ISP}

               |               ROUTER 2            /^^^^^\
          {Pipeline 50}--{ipfw/(skip|swipe|...)}--{ LAN 2 )
                                                   \vvvvv/

	LAN 1 is 192.168.1.0/24
	LAN 2 is 192.168.4.0/24
	ROUTER 1a is 192.168.1.251
	ROUTER 1b is 207.142.125.225/28
	ROUTER 2a is 192.168.4.251
	ROUTER 2b is 204.132.78.206/28

NOTE: Internet addresses are not exactly right 8).

   Data on LAN 1, destined for 192.168.4.0 needs to be caught in ROUTER 1,
and then packaged up, and sent to ROUTER 2, who unpacks the data and
dumps it on the local network.

   Data on LAN 2, destined for 192.168.0.0, but not 192.168.4.0 needs to be
caught in ROUTER 2, and then packaged up, and sent to ROUTER 1, who unpacks
the data and dumps it on the local network.

   What I am now looking at is an implementation somewhat similar to the
way that natd works with divert sockets.  I have already configured a
firewall on both ROUTER 1 and 2.  What I think I want to do is set up
rules in the firewall's to divert the appropriate addresses to the
"vpnd".  He will then encapsulate the data and send it to the other
router.

   In the encapsulate phase, I will probably bsdcomp the data to be sent,
and encrypt it with some very lame encryption.  I was thinking of using a
scheme where each machine has the encryption keys stored in a text file,
and simply uses them to en/decrypt the data.  Very basic.

   Does this look like it will work.  Am I insane to even think of trying
to write the "vpnd" program?  I am most concerned with figuring out how
to write the "vpnd", although I have looked at the "natd" code, and it
looks fairly straight forward to me.  I would simply create a "pipe" from
ROUTER 1b to ROUTER 2b.  Then as data comes in from the divert socket, I
would direct it out through the "pipe".  The place where I have problems
is when a packet comes in on the "pipe".  How do I inject the received
data on to my local network?

	brian

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and   \  Wm Brian and Lori McCane
he represents the last great schizm     \  McCane Consulting
among the gods. Evil though he obviously \  root@bmccane.uit.net
is, he is a mighty figure, this father of \  http://bmccane.uit.net/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons   \  http://bmccane.uit.net/~pictures/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.     \  http://bmccane.uit.net/~bmccane/