Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:22:39 +0200
From:      Nick Strebkov <nick@humgat.org>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   rtp jitter control

Hi,

I have a kernel-level RTP-poxy and now I need to control a jitter of
incoming RTP stream by caching the last incoming RTP packet and sending
it in case when the next packet is missed or delayed.

RTP-proxy realized as kld module + kernel patch that modify ip_input.c.
Patch adds a hook that process all IPv4 unicast UDP packets. In "my"
packets it change the dest address and call ip_forward() with source
routing simulation.

My solution for task above is to start kernel-level process by
kthread(9) and make buffering for all "my" packets with real sending it
from the started kthread.

Here I have three questions:

1. Is this solution posiible?
2. Do I need some special steps to send a cached packet from my kthread?
3. How to "lose" packet in ip_input()?

Thanks.

--
Nick Strebkov