Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:11:21 +0100
From:      Thomas Stratmann <thomas.stratmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree84-4 fonts make error - target dependency problem?

Hi everyone,

I just installed the XFree86-4 port and ran into a few problems at
first. I'm sorry the machine is not in reach for me and my time is
short, so my error description will not be very accurate. Hope this
helps though.

At the beginning of installation of the XF86-4 port, you are asked a few
questions about what you want to be built and installed (and sometimes
where). I don't remember the exact set of answers I gave (if it would
help, I'm willing to find them out if someone knows how - unfortunately,
I made clean afterwards which deletes the config file containing this).

The make stopped in ..../work/xc/fonts/bfc (I'm not sure about the path,
it definitively ended in bfc which should be unique) with the message

Don't know how to make encodings.dir in /work/xc/fonts/encoding

(same as above applies to the whole message, I'm sure about the path end
and the target).

I looked at ..../encodings/Makefile and saw that it was empty, except
for a single comment line. There was also a Imake file which I believe
was to later (re- ?)create this Makefile.

This problem occurred when I chose ONLY the 75dpi fonts to be built and
installed. I retried, now choosing ALL fonts, and it worked.

So this appears to be a simple dependency order problem (I know, I know,
these can be very tricky...) Maybe somebody has time and endurance
enough to try all possible font selections (or manages to write a script
for this) ;-)

Since my hard disk is large enough, the installation of all the other
fonts is not at all a serious problem for me. It would be a good idea to
fix this though, as beginners will definitively run into this problem...

Regards
Thomas Stratmann