Date:      Mon, 22 May 2006 10:52:13 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sadashiv Kulthe <sadashiv.linux@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, plug@plug.org
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD on Dell Inspiraon E1505/ 6400 laptop

--kH8JNVvasRCCW1Oz

On Sunday, 21 May 2006 at 17:25:38 -0700, Sadashiv Kulthe wrote:
> Helllo,
>
> I want to Install Linux on Dell Inspiraon E1505/ 6400 laptop can
> anyone tell me is it compatitable?

As others have observed, Linux and FreeBSD are two different operating
systems.  You certainly need to decide which (and if it's Linux, which
version of Linux).

> It has following configuration
>
> 1) Inspiron E1505, Intel Core Duoprocessor T2300 (2MB/1.66GHz/667MHz)

I've never heard a model number like E1505 before.  Is this different
from the standard Inspiron 6400?

> 2) 15.4 Inch Wide-screen WXGA Display for Inspiron 6400/E150

I don't know what WXGA means; my Inspiron 6100 has a 1920x1200
display.

> 3) 1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm for Inspiron 6400/E1505
> 4) Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950 GM

My machine has an ATI Radeon chipset, and I can install X on it,
though I still have trouble with external projectors.  I don't expect
any particular problems with the Intel chip set.

> 5) 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 6400/E1505
> 6) Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron

Probably Broadcom, like the other Inspirons.

> 7) Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps), for for Inspiron
> 6400/E1505

Probably the same as on my machine.  You'll need to install the
iwicontrol port and download the card firmware from the net.  I didn't
get mine to work properly with older releases than 6.1.

> 8) Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR) for Inspiron
> 6400/E1505

I have no experience with this.

> 9) 8X DVD+/-RW Drive for Inspiron 6400/E1505
>
> 10) Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, English without Media,
> for Inspiron

That won't work with FreeBSD or Linux.

Basically, you should have no difficulty installing both FreeBSD and
Linux on the machine; that's what I've done.  Older versions of X,
including those delivered with some current Linux distributions, have
difficulty recognizing the screen format, though they can be
configured to handle it.

Greg

--kH8JNVvasRCCW1Oz

--kH8JNVvasRCCW1Oz--