Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:19:31 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   New version of Acroread core dumps

There is a new version of the Linux version of Acroread - 4.05. I've
modified the Makefile and files/md5 to work with this, and it installs
correctly, however it core dumps with a Floating Point Exception.

The ReadMe that comes in the tarball includes the following:

	Linux-Specific Information
	--------------------------

	1.    The Acrobat Reader for Linux  was built on a
	      2.2.5-15 kernel. (RedHat 6.0)

	2.    There is currently no search functionality
	      available for the Linux Acrobat Reader.

	3.    The current Reader is now "glibc" 2.1 based as
	      opposed to libc. This means that the Acrobat Reader
	      has been linked with libc.so.6 as opposed to libc.so.5.
	      The effects of this are mainly that if you are using a
	      "libc" based version of Netscape, you will not be
	      able to launch the Reader as a plugin. In fact, this
	      will crash netscape.
	      Also, systems that use the older "2.0.x" glibc libraries
	      (such as RedHat 5.x and Debian 2.x, and Slackware 4.x)
	      may experience crashes when running this version of the
	      Acrobat Reader. We therefore recommend running the very
	      latest version of your distribution.
	      Debian plans to move to glibc 2.1 in the next release.
	      Slackware is glibc 2.1 based for version 7.0.

Item 3 appears to be the cause.

The Makefile currently includes this dependency:

RUN_DEPENDS=/compat/linux/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib/libc.so.5:${PORTSDIR}/emulators/linux_base

The current verions of linux_base is glibc-2.1 is it not? I certainly
have a libc.so.6 in /compat/linux/lib, although it is a symlink to
libc-2.1.2.so

I don't fully understand how the dynamic linking (acroread-4.05 is
dynamically-linked) mechanism works in Linux compatibility mode so can
anyone suggest what I may need to do to get this working properly, or
if it should, in fact, work at all.

Thanks.

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000