Date:      Tue, 21 Jun 2016 08:35:25 +0500
From:      "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD as iSCSI target and VMWare ESX

Hi.

Guys, does someone have experience with multiple LUNs on a target in
ctld ?  Recently I was installing ESX on a bunch of diskless hosts,
connected to FreeBSD ctld. I was organizing them inside one target,
multiple LUNs. As soon as the _count_ of LUNS went over 9, the whole
thing went crazy - ESX were unable to install, showing multiple errors
and not showing more than 10 LUNs from FreeBSD (and they were 11), and
even the last one created was unsuitable for installation. As soon as I
placed these "extra" LUNs inside the separate targets and LUN 0,
everything went back to normal. I understand completely this sounds like
a bad dream. I checked the VMWare limitations
(https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r55/vsphere-55-configuration-maximums.pdf)
- seems like it's supporting 256 LUNs  per server. I've also checked
their "iSCSI Best Practices Guide" and nowhere is says "use one LUN from
a target". It's not fair to suspect FreeBSD from the start, but this ML
is a much more frendlier place (at least I feel it to be so) - so, does
anyone have experience providing more than 9 LUNs from a target ?
Because I don't - prior to this I was providing one LUN from each
target, and it seems that I will continue to do so.

Thanks.

Eugene.