Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:21:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        "David W. Curry" <david@magickalhome.com>
Cc:        malte.lance@gmx.net, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X Windows

David W. Curry writes:
 > Malte Lance wrote:

General info:

Get familiar with some basic concepts of X-windows.
I can not explain it here (maybe a thing for the fbsd-ezine).
One sentence description:
X-windows is a server-client-model where the server manages graphical
resources and distributes them among the clients, that can connect
to the server via some network to request some action.

The implication of that is, that there will be no action if there is
no X-server running.

 > >  > Second I downloaded qvwm to clone a win
 > >  > 95 desktop.  My DISPLAY in env is ":0.0"  I tried to start qvwm with
 > >  > that device and it says can't open that display.  Anyone know how do to
 > >  > fix that?
 > >
 > > Infos needed:
 > > 1. How do you start qvwm ?
 >
 > I started it from the shell. :    qvwm -display ":0.0"
 >
 > > 2. Is there a X-server running ?
 >
 > Not when I try to start it.  The current windows manager is twm

That's your problem. If you know where twm is started, then replace
it with qvwm. If not, and you are interested in a quick test, do the
following:

"ps -auxg | grep twm"

The 2. column contains the process-id of twm.
Let us name that number twm-pid (for the duration of this little
excercise)

"kill -HUP twm-pid" ... where twm-pid is the number from the action
above.

Now move your mouse-pointer into an xterm and type
"qvwm &"

 > > 3. Is there already a window-manager running ? (assuming qvwm is
 > >    a window-manager)
 > >

 > qvwm I believe is a window manager in its own right.  And no, I start it from
 > the shell so there is no windows maganer running.
 >
 > I really am not concerned if qvwm starts.  I downloaded wine and can't figure
 > out how to get it to work either.  I am just intersted in any solution to make
 > a 95 cloned windows manager work with my system.  So if there is an easier
 > way, please let me know.

fvwm95 ... it's in the ports-collection.

Malte.