Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2017 00:04:09 +0200
From:      Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+freebsd@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FireFox memory usage

>> Very recent versions of Firefox seem to have fixed this problem for
>> me.
>> I think this was fixed in the version 54 to 55 upgrade.  I probably
>> have
>> 300-400 tabs open right now and Firefox memory consumption seems to
>> have
>> stabilized at a bit over 6 GB.  It's been running for the last eight
>> days.

I have seen some improvements with the recent version of Firefox, but
it's still giving me headaches when it gets slower and slower on some
sites.

Having heard about it on bsdnow.tv (episode 209), I'm now switching
to www/iridium (from ports):

   # cd /usr/ports/www/iridium
   # cat pkg-descr

   Iridium is a free, open, and libre browser modification of the
Chromium
   code base, with privacy being enhanced in several key areas.

   Automatic transmission of partial queries, keywords, metrics to
central
   services is inhibited and only occurs with consent.

   WWW: https://iridiumbrowser.de/

Looks very promising (also on Windows) !

   Mark